We do what a bank does, but we do it better. We’re a credit union and we are invested in your present and future.
What sets our Credit Union apart from banks?
We’re not just making empty claims – we can back up what we’re saying with facts.
- At credit unions, depositors are called members. Each member is an owner of the credit union.
- Since credit union members are owners, each member, regardless of how much money they have on deposit, has one vote in electing Board members. Members can also run for election to the board.
- Credit unions’ boards are comprised of volunteers who reflect the diversity of the membership.
- Credit unions are local and are organized to serve the interests of its membership.
- Credit unions are not-for-profit financial cooperatives, whose earnings are paid back to members in the form of higher savings rates, lower loan rates and fewer fees.
- Credit unions focus on consumer loans and member savings, as well as services needed by the membership.
- In the entire history of U.S. credit unions, taxpayer funds have never been used to bail out a credit union.
- Credit union deposits are federally insured up to $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a branch of the federal government, which is backed by the “full faith and credit” of the U.S. government.
- A credit union is a subcategory of the CDFI classification.
What is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI)?
A CDFI is a financial institution which provides credit and financial services to underserved markets and populations such as Fairbanks.
CDFIs are certified by the Community Development Financial Institutions Fund (CDFI Fund) at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, which provides funds to CDFIs through a variety of programs with the foremost being the Financial and Technical Assistance program.
A CDFI is defined as a financial institution that has a primary mission of community development, serves a target market, is a financing entity, provides development services, remains accountable to its community, and is a non-governmental entity. For more information please check out www.cdfi.org or http://www.cdfifund.gov.
We’re confident that we are the best banking option for the Fairbanks community. Become a member and let us prove it to you.
Once a member of MAC FCU, always a member of MAC FCU.
When you open an account with us, you're a member for life, as long as the account stays open.
You can move and take us along!